Thursday, April 01, 2004

The Avenue Opened a New World for Me

(no pic available, sorry) Okay this will finish my reviews on R.F. Delderfield until I find other books he has written. The Avenue was the same as his other books - wonderful and easily read. However, this book showed me and I mean showed me a small glimpse of what it would be like to live your life while some maniac (Hitler) is sending bombs into your neighborhood. Being of the generation that I am, where Wars are discussed on the political issues in schools - I had no idea that once it became dark that people had to black out their windows with heavy fabric, run to a shelter the minute sirens went off or learn how to bake differently because of the shortages. This book gave me a new perspective of what the Brits went through during the second world war.

I am flat amazed how Delderfield can create so many characters all fully formed where you read to the point of exhaustion because he moves from one part of the story line to another so fluidly. This story encompasses the lives of six to eight different families all on the same street - each one different, unique and special.

Read the book!

No comments: