Sunday, November 07, 2010

"The Lance Thrower" and "The Eagle" by Jack Whyte

08-03-10 to 11-07-10 What awesome two months! I love Jack Whyte's books. I have complete the Camulod Chronicles and I am a bit sad. These two books focus around Clothar the Frank, Seur Clothar, Clothar of Gaul or in more recent lore Sir Lancelot.

Whyte has a marvelous way of taking fantasy and lore that we know of the King Arthur legend and wrapping it around history. I liked the way he tells this story in a way that you could see actually happening and he also used the myths to show how history can distort. It is full of heroes and villains but most of all deep and real friendship and the loyalty that goes with.

If your are a fan of Camelot and magic and lore - try this on for size. You will not have your magic or witches or wizards, what you will have is a unique view of the Arthurian Legend. It is well grounded in reality, he explains how Merlyn becomes known as a Sorcerer while the reader is fully aware of his humanity. I will never give up on my myth and the fun that ensues but all the same, I would encourage all to read the entire chronicles as they are well written and very engrossing!!!

Read the books - start at the beginning and read them all.

The Skystone
The Singing Sword
The Eagles' Brood
The Saxon Shore
The Fort at River's Bend
The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis
Uther
The Lance Thrower
The Eagle

"I miss them all."  - From "The Eagle" by Jack Whyte

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm,that's odd i thought the second last book was clothar the frank