Thursday, March 25, 2004

D'Artagnan Come to My Rescue!

If I never find Mr. Right it is Alexandre Dumas' fault! I loved all the books based on the D'Artagnan, Aramis, Porthos and Athos. If you were like me thinking that the Three Musketeers was all there was - luckily you'd be wrong! The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte De Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere and The Man in the Iron Mask (the last three books originally were one complete story called In the King's Service) are a wild ride in mystery and conspiracy worth every minute of your time. The Three Musketeers is the first book to ever make me laugh out loud and stop reading for moment.




Dumas has a flare for action and intrigue that spell binds you to story and makes you want more. I was sad to see the end of the story come and to me that makes a great series. The Three Musketeers involves the four musketeers in the 20s and 30s, Twenty Years After is just that 20 years later and In The King's Service picks up when the guys are in their 60s and have to band together to save the day.


As with all series the first book is usually always the best of the lot, so if you don't want to read all five books - read the Three Musketeers! They are in my favorite bin and will always be remembered fondly!

No comments: