Sunday, March 07, 2004

Lost Illusions - The Title of My Life


I thought I liked all French writers but I do know now that while Dumas and Hugo are wonderful writers Honore de Balzac is not one of them. When I read Lost Illusions I had such high hopes but alas my hopes were only lost illusions!

Lucien believed himself to be better than anyone else and would use and abuse any and all to get what he wanted - fame and fortune. While the story depicted life of Paris in the 1800's and was somewhat interesting. I have read books where the main character is less than heroic and truly enjoyed them but not in this book. Balzac didn't capture my attention or desire to see the end. There is more books to this series but I have no desire to read them.

I may attempt another Balzac book but not of this series. I also believe that the writing could have lost some through translations so I will reserve my judgement on the writer but can't recommend this book.

No comments: